German Armed Forces Research 1918-1945
The 93.Infanterie-Division was formed in the fall of 1939 and did not take part in the Campaign against Poland. In the spring and early summer of 1940, the division was located along the Maginot Line near Saarbrucken. On about June 15th, 1940, the 93.Infanterie-Division launched its attack in the area South of Saarbrücken, against the Maginot Line, where it then broke through. Thereafter, the division continued its advance across the River Seille and the River Meurthe, advancing south where it ended near the region of the River Moselle between Nancy and Epinal on June 25th, 1940.
After the Campaign against France, the 93.Infanterie-Division was stationed along the French coast until it was transferred to the Eastern Front under Army Group North for the Invasion of the Soviet Union in June of 1941. The division fought heavily during the drive on Leningrad, and then in the subsequent defensive battles against the Soviet Winter Counter-attacks against the German lines in the North.
In August of 1942, the 271.Infanterie-Regiment was given the title "Feldherrnhalle" due to the majority of SA members within its ranks and in honor of the outstanding performance it had so far displayed during the Campaign in France and against the Soviet Union.
In the Summer of 1943, the 93.Infanterie-Division was transferred to Poland for rest and refitting, and while there, the 271.Infanterie-Regiment "Feldherrnhalle" was removed from the division and used to help reform the new 60.Panzergrenadier-Division "Feldherrnhalle", itself reformed from the remains of the 60.Infanterie-Division which had been lost in Stalingrad.
The division was then once again transferred back the area of Army Group North where it helped to take part in the desperate battles to maintain the siege against Leningrad against fierce Soviet pressure. The 93.Infanterie was then pushed back along with the rest of Army Group North during the progressive defensive battles throughout the Baltic region, where it ended up in the Kurland Pocket, trapped with rest of the now renamed Army Group North as Army Group Kurland.
Evacuated from the pocket, the division was sent via the Baltic Sea to Samland in Eastern Prussia where it was later destroyed by the Soviets in March of 1945.
Infanterie-Regiment 271 was given the title "Feldherrnhalle" because the unit consisted of a large number of troops from the SA. Infanterie-Regiment 271 "Feldherrnhalle" was later used to help reform a new unit, the 60.Panzergrenadier-Division "Feldherrnhalle", which was being reformed from the remains of the 60.Infanterie-Division (mot) that had been destroyed in Stalingrad.
Infanterie-Regiment 273 was added to the the division a short time after Infanterie-Regiment 271 was removed.
Knights Cross Holders
English Bibliography (Available on Amazon)
Feldgrau Forums |
Reichswehr 1918-1935 |
Axis Powers |
Foreign Volunteers |
Awards & Medals |
Copyright © 1996- FeldGrau.com