|Formed: February, 1945|
Home Station: Garmisch
Division composed of:
- 1,2,3 Abteilung, 296th Gebirgsjager Regiment
- 1,2,3 Abteilung, 297th Gebirgsjager Regiment
- 1,2,3 Abteilung, 1057th Gebirgs Artillerie Regiment
- 1057th Panzerjager Abteilung
- 1057th Signals Abteilung
- 1057th Pioneer Abteilung
- 1057th Divisional support units
History and Campaigns:
- The 8th Gebirgsjager Division was formed late in the War by converting the157th Gebirgsjager Division, in name, to the 8th Gebirgsjager Division.Nothing else about the Division appears to have been changed.
- An attempt was made to raise the 8th Gebirgsjager Division before 1945, in1944, by using soldiers from the 139th Gebirgsjager Regiment, but the attemptwas never completed and the men being used were formed intoDivisional Group Krautler and given the description, Division 140 z.b.V,which meant the unit was a “special purpose” unit. That unit spent its lifein Norway.
- When the 8th was finally created by renaming the 157th Gebirgsjager Division,it saw action in Italy for the duration of its short life, fighting inmainly Northern Italy against the Allies in theBologna area and Po Valley. The Division surrendered to the Americans inApril, 1945.
Schematische Kriegsgliederung (A detailed officallisting of the divisions locations):
|3.45 – 4.45||XIV||14. Armee||C||North Italy|
Fate: Surrendered to the Americans in April, 1945.