On August 17th 1943, the German Army formed the last of the German-Croatian Divisions. Like the 373.Infanterie-Division (kroat.) before it, the 392.Infanterie-Division wasfounded at Dollersheim, Germany for service in Croatia on anti-Partisan duties. Titled392.Infanterie-Division (Kroat.), the Division was nicknamed as “Plava” (Blue) by its men.
After formation and traning, in January of 1944, the 392.Infanterie-Division (kroat.) was transfered to theBalkans and assigned an Area of Operation reaching from southern Slovenia,along the Croatian Adriatic coast, to the city of Knin. The Division fought mostly in the northerncoastal area of Croatia, with its islands. It also took part in the Germanattempt to construct a security line around the Otocac – Bihac area, in January, 1945, afterthe fall of Knin.
Under severe Partisan attack, the 392.Infanterie-Division (kroat.) made a fighting withdrawl westward untilApril 24th, 1945 when north of Rijeka (Fiume), the German cadre released the Croatian soldiers fromfurther service and surrendered to the Partisans. The fate of all those in the unit, German and Croatianalike, was grim in the hands of the partisan forces.
Knights Cross Holders