- 08 Dec 21: Laid down
- 07 Jan 25: Launched
- 15 Oct 25: Commissioned
- 1933 – Sep 34: Laid up for major refit. All boilers converted toburn oil and shp increased to 46,500.
- Sep 34: Recommissioned
- 01 Sep 39: At Wilhelmshaven
- 03 Sep 39 Participated in laying of Westwall mine barrage inNorth Sea with Nurnberg, Koln, Konigsberg and Leipzig, 16xDD 10xTB & 3xML.
- 04 Sep 39: In air attack on Wilhelshaven RAF Blenheim crashedagainst Emden’s bow and tore out the side plating level with the cadetquarters, 12 deaths.
- 07 Apr 40: Emden formed part of Group 5 in invasion of Norway(with Blucher, Lutzow and 3xTB) bound for Oslo.
- 09 Apr 40: Sailed up Oslofjord in operation that resulted in lossof Blucher. Landed her troops at Sons Bukten below Oslo.
- 16-17 Sep 41: Participated with Leipzig and 3xTB in attack onMoon Island and Dago in Baltic, supporting 61st Infantry Division withshore bombardment fire against Soviet ground forces on Sworbe Peninsula.Repelled attack by four Soviet MTBs.
- 23 Sep 41: Participated with Baltic Fleet in movement to AalandSea to block possible Soviet breakout attempt. Emden and Leipzig sail fromLibau as the Southern Force in this movement.
- 29 Sep 41: Returned to Gotenhafen.
- 1942: Main battery exchanged for 150/50 C36 (8×1).
- 1942 – 44: Employed as training cruiser in the Baltic.
- 19-20 Sep 44: Emden and 1xML layed Klaudius defensive minefiled inSkagerrak southwest of Lindenas.
- 1-2 Oct 44: Laid Kaligula defensive minefiled in Skagerraksouthwest of Lindenas.
- 5-6 Oct 44: Laid Vespasan defensive minefiled in Skagerraksouthwest of Lindenas.
- Winter 1944-45: Laid up at Königsberg for refit.
- 1945: Anti air weapons increased to 4x37mm/83 C33 and 7x20mm.
- Mar 45: Emden sailed from Konigsberg lacking much of hermachinery, carrying Hindenburg’s coffin, his widow and about 1,000 refugees.Arrived at Kiel.
- 9-10 Apr 45: Emden badly damaged at Kiel by RAF attacks.
- 3 May 45: Scuttled at Heikendorf Bay.
|Displacement, standard/full load (tons):5,600/6,990|
|Length, oa, wl: 150/155m – 493’9″/508’110″|
|Beam/draught: 14.3/5.8m – 46’11″/21’8″|
|Machinery: 2 shafts, geared turbines, 10 boilers (4coal, 6 oil)45,900shp, 29.4 knots|
|Max Armor, Belt/deck/turrets/CT: 38/19/51/102mm|
|Main Battery: 8x150mm/55 C16|
|Anti Air Battery: 3×88/45 C32, 4x20mm C30|
|Torpedo: 4x533mm (4×3)|