German Armed Forces Research 1918-1945
The 416.Infanterie-Division was formed on December 20th, 1941 specifically for use as an occupation unit in Denmark. From 1942 until the time it was transfered to the Western Front it in 1944 the Division served as a Danish occupation unit, taking part in the construction of coastal fortifications and defenses all along the Danish coast in places like Silkeborg, Kolding, Viborg, Varde, Esbjerg, Aalborg, Thisted, Hurup, Holstebro, Frederikshavn, and Vem. The Division also took part in extensive coastal security duties while stationed in this region, although no action against the Allies ever took place on the ground in Denmark. Training also occupied the Division while it was stationed here.
On October 4th, 1944, the 416.Infanterie-Division was transfered to the Western Front to Metz in the Mosel-Saar region where it fought the Western Allies. On March 3rd, 1945 the Division made a fighting withdrawl in the region of Reimsbach, Schmelz and Tholey-Sotzweiler south of St. Wendel. Later it moved through the region north of Kaiserlautern. During this fighting withdrawl to the Rhine River the Division was exhausted and nearly destroyed. The remains of the Division were formed into "Kampfgruppe 416.Infanterie-Division" which was overcome and finally taken by the Americans near Traunstein in the closing days of WWII.
Knights Cross Holders
English Bibliography (Available on Amazon)
Feldgrau Forums |
Reichswehr 1918-1935 |
Axis Powers |
Foreign Volunteers |
Awards & Medals |
Copyright © 1996- FeldGrau.com