German Armed Forces Research 1918-1945
The 299.Infanterie-Division was formed on February 9th, 1940 as a unit of the 8 mobilization wave. It was formed in Erfurt in southern German, Wehrkries IX.
This division first took part in the Western Campaign in the later half of May, 1940. Crossing the frontier the division passed through the region of Luxemburg and southern Belgium to the region south of Sedan. It later advanced through the Argonne to the area of Verdun and thereafter crossed the Maas River at St Mihiel and Commercy in the region west of Toul.
In July of 1941 the division took part in the Invasion of the Soviet Union along the southern portion of the front, crossing the Bug River and advancing to the region of Dubno. Thereafter the division assaulted through the Stalin Line near Nowograd Wolinskij. Continuing its advance the 299.Infanterie-Division moved to the Dnieper River at Schuljany and later took part in the fighting for Kiev. The division was later transfered to the northern and then central sector of the front. It took part in the Battle of Kursk and Gomel in 1943, and later in June 1944 was smashed during the massive Soviet summer offensive. The remains of the unit were formed into Division-Gruppe 299 and placed along side Division-Gruppen 57 and 337 (other former divisional units crushed by the Soviets) and together they formed Korps-Abteilung G. In early fall 1944, Korps-Abteilung G was reformed into Infanterie-Division 299.
In late 1944 the division fought the Soviets in Poland and later in Eastern Prussia, ending the war in the Heiligenbeil Pocket.
Knights Cross Holders
English Bibliography (Available on Amazon)
Feldgrau Forums |
Reichswehr 1918-1935 |
Axis Powers |
Foreign Volunteers |
Awards & Medals |
Copyright © 1996- FeldGrau.com