Research on the German Armed Forces 1918-1945
Eisenbahn-Panzerzug 51 (wide gauge), was initially a Streckenschützzug,
or track-protection train, before it was converted to an Eisenbahn-Panzerzug
in June of 1942. After Operation Barbarossa began, surplus Soviet rolling
stocks were combined to form ad-hoc train units armed with non-repairable
Soviet tanks. Eisenbahn-Panzerzug 51 was one of these units. Conversion in
this case consisted of adding four Soviet BT-7 tank turrets to its offensive
armament. Prior to the conversion, Panzerzug 51 was listed in German records
as Streckenschützzug Stettin.
A short while after conversion, Panzerzug 51 was assigned to Heeresgruppe Nord. Its immediate function were to replace the May 1942 damaged Panzerzug 6 (standard gauge 1.435mm) withdrawn from front-line service. Panzerzug 51 found itself in Valga/Valka (Walk) in Estonia in August of 1944 where it was either destroyed in battle or abandoned by its crew.
Feldgrau Forums |
Reichswehr 1919-1935 |
Axis Powers |
Foreign Volunteers |
Awards & Medals
Copyright © 1996- FeldGrau.com